Nepal holds a wide array of beautiful geographical structures decorated with attractive biodiversity and diverse culture of people. One of the most precious crown jewels of the country is the Annapurna region which rests in the central part of Nepal. The Annapurna region is home to marvelous peaks such as the Annapurna, Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Himchuli, and many more.
The Annapurna region homes many popular and visited trekking routes in Nepal like the Annapurna Base Camp Trek, Annapurna Circuit, Mardi Himal Trek, Poon Hill Trek, and Jomsom Muktinath Trek. Some of the major highlights of trekking in this region are views of majestic mountains, exploring diverse terrain, cultural insight into different ethnic groups, and traversing across dense forests to witness rich flora and fauna.
Every year, thousands of trekkers visit this region to explore the wonders of nature. Here are five of the most popular treks and a list of what one can find in their journey:
Annapurna Base Camp Trek
The Annapurna is the world’s tenth tallest mountain. Trekkers from all over the world come here to explore the Annapurna massifs. The Annapurna Base Camp Trek takes you across the beautiful region of Annapurna where you get to witness the great Annapurna ranges, lush green hills, dense forests filled with rich flora and fauna, and the quaint communities of the rural valleys. Some of the major highlights of this trek are:
- Splendid close-up views of mountains such as Annapurna, Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri, and Lamjung Himal.
- Enjoy the relaxing Jhinu hot springs on the descend path to the Modi River.
- Explore the rich biodiversity of the Annapurna Sanctuary.
- Experience the rich culture by visiting local villages of the Gurung and Magar tribes.
The Annapurna Base Camp trek is an 11-day journey that runs its course through the route: Pokhara, Nayapul, Birethanti, Ulleri, Ghorepani, Poonhill, Chuile, Sinuwa, Deurali, and finally Annapurna Base Camp. An approximate cost for this trek is around $1000 per person.
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek
A short yet one of the most rewarding treks, the Ghorepani Poon hill trek takes you across a set of diverse landscapes, lush green forests, ethnic Gurung villages, and up to the famous vantage point of Poonhill. Poonhill is located at 3,210 meters above sea level and is known to provide unarguably the best views of the Annapurna ranges. Some of the major highlights of this trek are:
- Marvelous panoramic views of the Annapurna massifs and its neighboring peaks: Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, and Hiuchuli.
- Terrific sunrise view over the mountain ranges.
- Exploring the village communities of Birethanti, Ghorepani, and Tadapani.
- Enjoy the company of waterfalls and rice terraces along the way.
The Ghorepani Poonhill trek is a 10-day journey that runs its course through the route: Pokhara, Tikhedhunga, Ghorepani, and Poonhill. The approximate cost for this trek is around $700 per person.
Jomsom Muktinath Trek
Towards the rain shadow areas of Annapurna, there is a quaint place known as Jomsom. The arid lands of Jomsom take you to a journey that has a perfect blend of nature with culture. You travel from lush green vegetation to dry desert-like lands where you find phenomenal mountain views. Muktinath presents you with the spiritual aspect of the journey. The historic temple of Muktinath serves a great deal of religious importance. Some of the major highlights of this trek are:
- Spiritual satisfaction by cleansing and purifying oneself under the 108 spouts of the Muktinath Temple (3,800m).
- Experience the unique terrain structure, dry and arid landscapes with mountains in the backdrop.
- Enjoy strolls around the apple orchards in the Marpha village.
- Deep insight into the religion and lives of the local ethnic groups, especially the Gurung and Thakali.
The Jomsom Muktinath Trek is a 13-day trek that runs its course through the route: Pokhara, Nayapul, Ghorepani, Ghasa, Tukuche, Kagbeni, Muktinath, and Jomsom. An approximate cost for this trek is around $1,000 per person.
Annapurna Circuit Trek
The Annapurna Circuit Trek next to Annapurna Base Camp Trek is the most popular and sought out treks in the Annapurna region. It can be said that the circuit offers just a little more of Annapurna than the base camp trek. The route of this trek covers a great portion of the base camp trek and moreover extends to other untouched locations. The circuit trek would be the best possible way to explore the beautiful region of Annapurna. Some of the major highlights of this trek are:
- Traverse across lush subtropical vegetation to desert-like alpine lands.
- Explore colorful forests of rhododendron and oak trees.
- Observe and learn about the local culture and religion by exploring temples, monasteries, and local settlements.
- Mount the Thorong La Pass (5,416m) from where you witness a mesmerizing panoramic view of the Annapurna ranges along with the Dhaulagiri massifs.
The Annapurna circuit trek is a 16-day trek. The circuit starts from Jagat leading through Dharapani, Chame, Pisang, Manang, Yak Kharka, Thorong Phedi, Muktinath, and Jomsom and ends at Pokhara. The approximate cost for this trek is around $1,500 per person.
Annapurna Base Camp Heli Tour
Trekking isn’t always the best option for everybody. Some may want to experience the beauty of the Annapurna avoiding the exhausting treks. For such people, the Annapurna Base Camp Heli Tour provides the perfect opportunity to fulfill their wishes. The beauty of the conventional Annapurna Base Camp Trek comes easily with this journey as you fly over the diverse landscapes and make way to the base camp. Some of the major highlights of this trek are:
- Aerial view of the diverse landscapes below and the mountains on the horizon. Major mountains to see are the Annapurna massifs, Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri, and Hiuchuli.
- Stunning sunrise/sunset views over the glorious mountains.
- Easy and fast way to experience the Annapurna region.
This Heli tour can be done in many ways. You can complete it in a single day or choose to extend it by staying at various points. Your first flight is from Kathmandu to Pokhara from where you take an adventurous flight to Annapurna Base Camp. An approximate cost for this trip is around $350 per person.
The Annapurna region is one of the most cherished trekking destinations of Nepal. Owing to its rich natural and cultural beauty, the Annapurna region is a must-visit destination if you are seeking to trek in Nepal. Trekking here is possible throughout the year, but most people prefer spring or autumn season. These seasons occur around March to May and September to November respectively. These seasons are preferred over other seasons as they provide clear weather and warm temperatures, resulting in the ideal atmosphere for trekking.